Monday, September 16, 2013

Ahhhh, Lavender

 
As a skin care therapist I have experienced the awesome power of Lavender.  I use it during facials as an aroma therapy treatment.  It is amazing how just inhaling the relaxing aroma can change a clients mood and bring them to instant relaxation, making their treatment much more relaxing and effective. As an esthetician I realize that I am not only treating a clients skin, I helping them relax and de-stress which is incredibly important in overall mental and physical health.  I learned Lavender actually has medicinal properties as and can be used  as a home remedy for treating several ailments. This year I planted it in my garden. What a treat!  As I was picking goodies from my garden I often got a whiff of this intoxicating scent bringing a smile to my face and a sense of peace and relaxation.  I cut and dried some of the stems so I could enjoy it indoors.  I came across this interesting article and hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did! -~AJ
 

An Essential Oil for Fundamental Health

Article by Laurie Chance Smith
Lavender essential oil is a one-stop medicine chest, helping to reduce anxiety, fatigue, and stress and balance hormones, increase the immune response, lower blood pressure, and relieve pain. To utilize lavender's healing benefits at home, mix five to 10 drops of lavender essential oil in one ounce of jojoba oil or unscented lotion. (Essential oils shouldn't be applied directly to the skin; it's best to partner them with a carrier oil, liquid, or lotion.)

EarachesFor earaches, dab one drop of lavender massage oil behind the ear and rub gently. Alternatively, place one drop of lavender oil on a cotton ball and carefully place inside the outer ear.

HeadachesInhaling lavender is also effective for headache relief. Add a few drops to a bowl of warm water and breathe. Gently rub lavender massage lotion on the temples, forehead, and base of the neck.

ColdsLavender oil can also help break up coughs and clear sinuses. Colorado-based holistic aromatherapist Nicola McGill suggests the regular home-use of antiseptic essential oils such as lavender to help avoid colds and other infectious diseases. Add a few drops to a vaporizer to help clear colds and infuse the home with lavender's scent.

StressAt night, six to eight drops of lavender added to a warm bath helps melt away stress and relieve fatigue. Blend a foot bath by adding three drops of lavender to a bowl of warm water, sink your feet in, and relax. For help inducing sleep, add two or three drops of lavender essential oil to the underside corner of your pillow.

Tranquil AromaA human takes 23,040 breaths a day, and each inhale floods the system with scent. Rely on lavender's tranquil aroma to clear the way toward peaceful days.



No comments:

Post a Comment